Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Stuff my dad tought me

Respect is earned

The problem with the debate is washington that liberals don't get, is respect is earned. So regardless if you think rich people ought to pay more more or not, what I'm thinking is I've given you a bunch of money and you've over extended yourself and spent it unwisely. That's not really a situation where people want to give you more money, cause frankly they don't trust you.

When my grandmother died, she left me some money, not a lot but some. I was a totally irresponsible person at the time. So my parents gave me some, but kept the rest. When I found that out later I was pissed, but you know in hind sight I'd do the same thing. You can't keep giving your children, or the gov't money, and enabling them to make bad decisions sometimes the only way to learn is to show you are accountable, that is how your earn respect.

When you do something stupid, you have to earn back the respect. You have to show you are worthy. The gov't has yet to do that. So from my perspective the republican stance that is getting a lot of bad press is the right one. An austerity ultimatum, is a way the public says, look you over spending irresponsible bastards, we aren't taking it anymore. You created this mess, not us. We trusted you with our money and look what you did. Sorry that means pissing off poor people, or old people, or corporations, or banks, or the defense industry. But those little whining bastards are going to have to grow up and deal with it. Maybe once the gov't can show it can be responsible this won't be so painful but right now, after a long history of being irresponsible its time for some tough love.

Be responsible for your actions

Look, blaming this situation the rich, or past administrations is getting old. This is America. Our wealth is ours first. Its about private property, that is what this country was founded on. We all recognize the need for a social net or to cure social inequalities, but the fact we are spending .40 cents of every dollar on a debt is not sustainable. This is largely the fault of politicians pandering to more power, and a public not willing to stop them. The time has come to recognize that they need to fix this, and that is ultimately going to mean making some decisions that people won't be happy with. But you put yourself in that situation. And I'm pretty sure the 2010 election proved that we are sick of it. So I applaud the republicans for the hard line, because I think its necessary. You reap what you sow. I didn't ask for the wars or the social hand outs, I don't see why its my problem to fix it. You have the revenue you have, just like I do in my personal finance. I have to make some hard decisions, and so do you. If that means the some people are pissed so be it. Time to stand up and be responsible.

Frankly, Obama is trying to play just as much as a political card as the anyone else, b/c he's knows a longer term debt ceiling pushes this past his re-election. A 4 trillion reduction in 10 years is a start but not really the end game. It going to come down to major tax reform, the likes of which is only solved by a flat tax or something that is broader and fairer. So I say pass 100 billion debt ceiling with a 100 billion cut every month until there is political will for more. That will keep it going until we can have real reform, which isn't going to happen in the next 2 weeks. It's only going to really happen when some people are in office that don't care about getting re-elected, and right now its seems that Obama's worried about another term and the Republicans are worried about getting in the white house. The earliest we will even begin to deal with this is in 2013, or when the sky falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment